Greener Partners seeks qualified candidates to grow our team with creative, hardworking and motivated individuals who are committed to Greener Partners’ mission and programming. Greener Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a progressive work environment for employees.
Guild House Farm/SOL Food Youth Education Manager
Greener Partners (GP) seeks a dynamic, experienced, and committed part-time educator to lead our youth program at Guild House Farm and SOL (Sustainable Organic Local) Food, our Philadelphia-based teen leadership program. The ideal candidate will be an engaging educator, an enthusiastic gardener, and have a passion for working with youth.
Guild House West is a 155-unit apartment building for low-income seniors in Lower North Philadelphia. Greener Partners operates Guild House Farm as a community and educational resource. The site’s quarter-acre vegetable garden, small fruit orchard, resident community garden, and ornamental gardens offer outdoor green space, fresh produce, educational programs, and gardening opportunities to the residents of Guild House West, as well as to volunteer and student groups from across the region.
Based out of Guild House Farm, Greener Partners’ SOL Food is an afterschool and summer program for teens. Through hands-on education, intergenerational programming, and food production, teens learn about food justice, personal and community health, and seasonal cooking while building teamwork, leadership, and job skills. SOL Food Summer Interns, who work at Guild House Farm for a 6-week paid job opportunity, have the opportunity to apply to become SOL Food Leaders, who work during the school year to develop lessons that they then teach to their peers during afterschool programs and during the next summer. SOL Food is proud to be a part of the Get HYPE Philly Initiative, a partnership supporting teen leadership, health literacy, and job readiness in North Philadelphia.
Greener Partners’ mission is to create healthy communities through food, farms and education. In addition to GHF, Greener Partners operates a wellness farm at Lankenau Medical Center, two Farm Explorer mobile farm trucks, and works with organizations in Norristown, Chester, Philadelphia and others in the region.
- Serve as lead educator for SOL Food programming at Guild House West, Girard College, and other sites.
- Coordinate and lead 6-week paid summer program for up to 10 Philadelphia high school-aged youth.
- Lead engaging and inspiring lessons focused on food justice, food production, and intergenerational community building.
- Assist with gardening, including seeding, maintenance, harvest, post-production, and distribution.
- Collaborate with partner schools, organizations, and community members.
- Provide supervision to SOL Food Youth Leaders in creating GP education programming.
- Lead outreach efforts about the program and develop community connections.
- Participate in other GP Education programming as needed.
- Other GP responsibilities as needed.
- Experience working & connecting with and creating authentic leadership roles for teens
- An open mind, patience, strong sense of fun, and great listening skills.
- Proven success with at least two of the following: experiential education, sustainable farming, farm/environmental education, and seasonal cooking
- Success working collaboratively and independently
- Well-organized and flexible
- Familiarity with Philadelphia neighborhoods and schools
- Comfort and experience working with and in diverse communities
- Ability to travel within the city, by either car, bike, or public transportation
- Passion for Greener Partners’ mission
- Spanish speaking a plus
- Fluency with social media (facebook, instagram, twitter) a plus
The successful applicant will be required to have or obtain FBI child abuse clearances.
This is a part-time, salaried, 20-hour/week position, requiring 25 hours for 8 weeks in the summer and the opportunity to take those hours as paid vacation at a less-busy time. Compensation range is between $14,560 and $16,640 annually. GP offers 8 days paid time off (PTO) per year for half-time staff, including sick days and vacation days, as well as a paid holiday week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, as well as 9 paid holidays per year.
Greener Partners is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds. People of color, working-class people, and people from Philadelphia are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter with the subject line ‘GHW educator’ to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until February 8th and interviews will be held on a rolling basis.