Greener Partners seeks qualified candidates to grow our team with creative, hardworking and motivated individuals who are committed to Greener Partners’ mission and programming. Greener Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a progressive work environment for employees.
Delema G. Deaver Wellness Farm Assistant Farmer/Educator
Greener Partners (GP) seeks a part-time (20 hours/week) Assistant Farmer/Educator for our ½ acre Deaver Wellness Farm (DWF) at Lankenau Medical Center (LMC).
A partnership between GP and LMC, the DWF serves as a community resource for fresh food and education. As an extension of Lankenau’s Health Education Center, the farm is a field trip site for school-aged youth from the surrounding five county area. Through experiential learning in our half-acre living outdoor classroom, youth make connections between growing healthy food and growing healthy bodies. The farm also serves as a production site for over 30 varieties of chemical-free vegetables. Supporting Lankenau’s commitment to patient well-being, the produce is donated to primary care practices within the medical center and beyond. Patients of these practices receive fresh produce at their doctor’s visit, along with cooking and nutrition tips.
Greener Partners’ mission is to improve community health through food, farms, and education. Since 2008, Greener Partners has partnered with schools, hospitals, and community organizations to farm organically and provide innovative education programs. Last year, our food security initiatives and programs on farming, food education, and nutrition had an impact on more than 10,000 children and families from the five-county Philadelphia region.
About Lankenau Medical Center
Lankenau Medical Center is an acute care hospital and medical complex located just outside the western city limits of Philadelphia on a 93-acre campus in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania. Part of Main Line Health since 1985, Lankenau Medical Center has been devoted to the health and wellbeing of the community since 1860, with a founding mission to serve all those in need. Its continued dedication to service, compassionate patient care, and superior clinical programs make Lankenau a preferred destination for care by people throughout and far beyond the Philadelphia region. As a longtime teaching hospital, Lankenau Medical Center is committed to maintaining high-level expertise across all clinical areas—from primary care and disease prevention to medical and surgical management of all organ system disorders.
The ideal candidate will be an engaging, creative and flexible educator skilled at delivering quality programs to diverse audiences in a wide range of settings. In addition, s/he will have some vegetable gardening and/or farming experience and a passion for healthy, whole food cooking. Most importantly s/he will possess the following: a strong and collaborative work ethic; commitment to GP’s mission; pro-active approach and flexibility; problem-solving skills; willingness to learn; attention to detail; receive constructive feedback, ask clarifying questions and take responsibility; ability to productively manage time; open communication; sense of humor; and an open mind. This position is ideal for individuals who enjoy cooking, working outside, manual labor, and who possess a positive, can-do attitude. This individual will report to the DWF Farm Manager/Educator. There is opportunity for growth with a successful candidate.
- Co-lead engaging and inspiring farm-based lessons focused on connecting youth to where their food comes from, how it’s grown, and how to make healthy recipes
- Collaborate on the development of engaging lessons that support farm and food education
- Assist the Farm Manager with the coordination and implementation DWF programming at the farm and in various hospital and community settings
- Develop educational materials and hand-outs for both youth and adult education
- Assist with crop production: seeding, maintenance, harvesting, post-production
- Gather relevant data for use in measuring program impact and outcomes
- Manage a budget for Youth Education materials and supplies and report to DWF Farm Manager
- Collaborate with the Lankenau Medical Center community, including health educators, medical professionals, community partners, and patients
- Collaborate with LMC Health Educators to incorporate the DWF into specified classroom lessons at the Health Education Center
- Assist with the planning and coordination of special events
- Support outreach efforts about the program and develop community connections
- Provide onsite tours and engage with diverse stakeholders and visitors
- Participate in other GP Education programming and projects related to DWF, as needed
- Complete assigned continuing education and training per Main Line Health requirements
- Several years of experience leading experiential education, whether nature, farm/garden-based for various age groups, including lesson planning and group management
- Experience with sustainable farming/gardening and seasonal cooking
- Experience working with a diverse range of ages and populations in a variety of settings
- Experience with and/or knowledge of food justice issues and the local food community a plus
- Experience with program development or curriculum development a plus
- Ability to work independently AND ability to collaborate with a diverse team
- Positive and flexible in handling challenging situations or uncertainty
- Well-organized and able to work flexible hours
- Up-to date FBI, PA Criminal, and PA Child Abuse clearances (or ability to obtain)
- Ability to lift 40 lbs., bend, move quickly and work outside
- BA preferred, but not required
Greener Partners seeks qualified candidates to grow our team with creative, hardworking and motivated individuals who are committed to Greener Partners’ mission and programming. Greener Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a progressive work environment for employees. This is a part-time, position with paid time off. Salary starts at $17,000, based on experience. We encourage people of color, LGBTQ, religious minorities, recent immigrants, and applicants from all generational, economic, and educational backgrounds to apply. Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com